like it? pin it!

Jun 9, 2014

Design your own Fabric: Super Easy Tutorial

Dear Chicago House,

Followers on Facebook have already had a sneak peak at this fabric design project.

use sharpies to design fabric
and now here I am to share more details and give you the ins and outs of how to do this yourself. It is very easy and a lot of fun.

First lets just take a look at the fabric I designed.

fabric designed using sharpies
It looks complicated and time consuming but is actually very quick and easy to do.

How to design your own fabric using sharpies

You will need

  • Sharpies
  • Fine paint brush
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Cotton fabric   
Lay your fabric out on a flat surface in a well ventilated area using something like cardboard to protect your work surface.

Simply sketch out a simple pattern (more on that below!). Here is the pattern I used.

fabric designed using sharpies
 Then take your paintbrush and dot a liberal amount of rubbing alcohol in the center of each pattern element

fabric designed using sharpies
The alcohol will start to spread outwards and the colors will start to bleed and blend

fabric designed using sharpies
fabric designed using sharpies
The alcohol  drys very quickly and you are left with a beautiful fabric.

The design options are limitless and I went a little crazy creating test patterns but the end result is that you have a whole swatch of example to give you inspiration for your own fabrics.
fabric designed using sharpies

fabric designed using sharpies: patterns
I'd love to see any fabrics you make using this technique.

Love from

Creative in Chicago

XX

25 comments:

  1. I like this! Do you know if it would work on silk fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy...yes this would work well on silk too

      Delete
  2. Wow, love how they look shining like crystals! Appreciate the comparison chart too :) This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I think it would depend on the weave of the canvas. When I first tried the test patches for this project I worked on watercolor paper...except that it didn't work...the paper would not allow the alcohol to bleed enough. Might be the same issue on canvas.

      Delete
  4. Except one thing.. is it ok for the washing machine.. i guess not. I mean you cannot do anything else then deco that you cannot wash, still it looks very very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tested it in the washing machine yet but my guess is that it will be fine. Sharpie markers are waterproof so the ink should stay put. I will do a test and post the results!

      Delete
    2. I'm interested in water proofness also!

      Delete
    3. I'm interested in water proofness also!

      Delete
    4. Iron the finished design or put the shirt in the dryer. It sets the sharpie dye, then wash it alone the first time just to make sure it doesn't run

      Delete
  5. I have done this on tshirts and it did bleed and fade quite a bit in the wash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have experienced BLEEDING from washing the T-shirt even AFTER I had "cured" it in the dryer :( there was ink where it hadn't been before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would this technique work on coffee filters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did not work with coffee filters. Go with fabric.

      Delete
  8. Have bought the pens to give this a go - it looks wonderful! In the UK, rubbing alcohol is known as surgical spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know, thanks:-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I finally understood what rubbing alcohol is (I'm Swedish)!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the patterns, I'm planning a craft day for the neighborhood kids, this will help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It doesn't work on t-shirts because they are usually a poly-cotton blend. It needs to be 100 percent natural fibre..cotton, silk and perhaps unfinished canvas, etc.

    Have learned this from other craft projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After alcohol dries soak it in COLD white Vinegar. That should set the ink..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it helpful to pre-wash the new t-shirt first? Do shirts still contain "sizing" that prohibits the setting as they used to?

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the UK, rubbing alcohol is known as surgical spirit.
    And in French, does someone know what is the name of "rubbing alcohol" ?
    Alcool à brûler ? Alcool chirurgical ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. In french it's " Alcool a friction" - in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would this work with fabric markers?

    ReplyDelete